Broad Vs Niche Keywords Certain Keywords Really Sell Books.
Author Branding,  Book Marketing Strategies,  Improve Your Writing

Broad Vs Niche Keywords: Certain Keywords Really Sell Books

Broad Vs Niche Keywords: Certain Keywords Really Sell Books

Amazon shoppers use many search terms that do not end in sales. After years of studying search patterns, the reasons make sense.

If you have ever shopped on Amazon searched and did not find the item you immediately changed the keywords or phrase. Then the shoppers will continue this process until they find the right product.

After analyzing the data, a pattern appears from these searches. So, yes choosing the right keywords is essential.

Shoppers begin with a broad phrase that describes the book then, narrow the search using niche keywords until the right book (s) is found.

As you can see from this example below many keywords have a higher number of searches but do not generate sales.

Broad vs Niche: 

The first step in choosing the right keywords is understanding the difference between broad and niche terms: 

  • Broad Terms: One word or two that broadly describes the book. As an example, Fantasy book, Self Help, Romance, back to school, etc.
  • Niche Terms: Specific phrases, or groups of words (sometimes called long-tail) that describe a book more extensively. As an example, Victorian second chance romance, Alien earth invasion Sci-Fi, Going back to school for my GED 

The interesting part, most people search using broad terms, but find fewer sales occur until the search is narrowed using niche terms, then the sales increase.  

Amazon Book Shopper’s Journey

According to Amazon, “66% of all book shoppers start their book-buying journey with Amazon’s search bar, with the other 34% coming from clicking links from other websites that point to the product, or shopping via favorite book categories.  But what’s important for us to know is that 89% of all those who use the search bar, end in a purchase.”

Clarify: The statement says 89% of those sales start with using the search bar on Amazon end in a sale during that visit. The different searches are what end in a sale. The statement leads into the discussion of broad vs niche.

In many cases, Amazon shoppers don’t know exactly what they are looking for, so they begin with broad keywords. As the results appear, the journey is narrowed down. Then each search results in more niche terms.

Fiction Example:  

An example, the keyword “Romance Book.”  Search results may show muscular men holding scantily clad women. However, the results do not match your desired book. So, you use something like wholesome or family romance books. Then after viewing the results, you realize that love prairie home style or cowboy romance fits the bill perfectly. Thereby, leading to the next narrowed search “wholesome cowboy romance book.” Sale made……

 

Nonfiction Example: 

If someone wants to get their GED, college degree, or master’s you might use “back to school.”  The results are too broad, so try adding “college.” The results show covers with elderly individuals, young people, and professionals in suits, so you might add “corporate.”  Then finally options about online learning appear, or physically attending school. As with these two examples, shoppers narrow their search as they find the correct topic and genre.

 

How to Figure Out Which Keywords Sell Better than Others? 

For fiction keywords, use this premise to create 4 columns on the subjects below and come up with as many keywords as possible for each category.

  • Time period and setting
  • Character types or roles
  • Plot Themes or special events
  • Style and tone of your genre

For nonfiction keywords, create a list of 4 columns on the subjects below and come up with as many keywords as possible.

  • Pain point
  • Desired Results
  • Agitators
  • Demographic

Once you have this list of potential words in all categories, then start grouping them together.  At this point though, you’ll need to guess which pairings are best and then use the steps in the article on how to select your 7 keywords.  

 

 

Conclusion:

As seen in the article, there are many phrases on Amazon that get searched but have a lower chance of landing a sale. Therefore, just as shoppers search to find key items of their choosing, authors must also search to discover the best niche keywords. Along with using good keywords, the results will also improve ranking.

If you get stuck, please send us an email. Writers Publishing House offers affordable optimization packages to improve book sales. info@writerspublishinghouse.com

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *